Braided Gland Compression Packings and Seals are used to seal a variety of fluids under a range of service conditions and are designed to operate under either static or dynamic applications.
Compression Packings, named as such due to the manner in which they perform the sealing function, are the oldest and still most common sealing device for controlling the leakage of liquids or gases at Shafts, Rods or Valve stems. They are used to seal against media such as water, oil, gases, solvents, acids and other chemicals at varying temperatures and pressures.
Compression Packings are available for many uses, in Centrifugal and Reciprocating Pumps, and for static duties including Furnaces and Tank Lids and for use in Valve Stems
- Nuclear Power
- Pulp and Paper
- Oxygen Service
- Valves, Pumps and Rotating equipment
We have a wide range of packings available, made as a soft, pliant and resilient material to match the temperatures, pressures and speeds of your fluid handling systems and plant.
- Suitable for the most abrasive and chemically aggressive industries and applications
- Meet specialist requirements of potable water, food and oxygen duties
- Specific packings can cover a range of valve duties thus rationalising product range
- Suitable for use in poor mechanical conditions
- Fugitive emission control
Compression Packings are made from a wide range of materials in many different styles of construction and many different sizes to suit many different service applications. They are generally supplied in boxes, each containing one 8 Metre length.
Below is a list of the most common styles of construction and the most readily available materials
Manufacturing Construction Styles
Also known as Inter-Braid, Cross Plait or Diagonal Braid is formed when yarns crisscross through each other from the surface diagonally through the body of the packing. This ensures all strands are strongly locked by each other to create a solid and stable structure that will not fall apart during service. Having an even distribution of yarn density allows for improved lubricant retention.
The square braid is formed when strands of material pass over and under further strands running in the same direction. These square braid packings, which are usually soft and pliable, having a loose structure allowing for a high percentage of lubricant to be added, are used for high speed rotary service at relatively low pressure. The softness of the braid makes it usable on old and worn equipment
Braid over Braid
Also known as Round Braid or Braid over Core this construction style is achieved by braiding thin jackets of yarn around a core material either of the same, or different, material. This style of packing is relatively dense and recommended for us in high pressure, slow speed, generally static, applications.
With many different material variations there is a packing product for every application, from food, beverage and pharmaceutical PTFE based dry packings to heavily lubricated graphite or aramid fibre packings ideal for duties involving highly abrasive media.
Correctly identify, and Inform us of, the following parameters, Size, Temperature, Application, Media, Pressure and Shaft Speed and SSP will be able to supply an ideal, reliable and cost-effective packing product to provide ultimate sealing performance.
Using high performance pure Graphite offers high temperature and pressure capability and good chemical resistance for outstanding sealing performance.
There are many different material versions and combinations used to produce a braided packing with enhanced performance characteristics that will perform in varying and demanding service conditions. These requirements may include very high pressure applications where an Inconel wire reinforcement can be incorporated into the braiding body, or inducing a graphite or PTFE lubricant to increase material density, improve sealing performance and reduce stem wear.
- High Temperature Applications
- High Pressure Applications
- Excellent Chemical resistance
- Excellent Sealing and Operational reliability
- Good resistance to abrasion and wear
- Flexible and compressible
- Fire Safe
Polytetrafluoroethylene is primarily used for its outstanding resistance to chemical attack, low coefficient of friction, high tensile strength and wide temperature range from cryogenic to + 260⁰C, and have a higher degree of molecular orientation allowing a significantly greater resistance to cold flow. PTFE packing can be used in valve and pumping applications and different versions are available offering added PTFE, Mineral or Vegetable Oil or Graphite lubricants enhancing properties such as rapid heat dispersion in high-speed applications or for difficult applications requiring sealing of aggressive chemicals or where non-contaminated packing is required.
- High purity with outstanding chemical resistance
- WRC Approved
- Suitable for Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical applications
- Long life Valve and Pump sealing with minimum maintenance
- Minimal wear on shafts and sleeves
- Very low coefficient of friction
- Suitable for Oxygen Service
- FDA Approved
ePTFE/Graphite : FG50
This highly versatile product adds a new dimension to compression packing reliability and performance. Made totally from WL Gore & Associates’ highly developed GFO® yarn – combining the benefits of ePTFE, graphite and high temperature lubricants – this cross-plaited packing offers the ideal balance between density, resilience, strength and durability.
- Extended service life – by up to 400% in harsh environments
- Well proven with aggressive media
- High thermal conductivity for cool running
- Low coefficient of friction and minimal shaft wear
- Very good start-up and emergency running characteristics
- Non hardening
Typical applications are valves and pumps handling aggressive chemical media in the petrochemical, pulp and paper, power generation and metallurgical sectors – as well as potable water, and steam at up to 260°C (500°F).
Braided synthetic packing is a general industry, commercial grade packing and will be an effective sealing agent in mild pump applications having low temperature and moderately low speed characteristics
- Economic but versatile
- A general valve and static seal packing
- Can be used upto 450⁰C
- Easy to cut and install
Having a very high tensile strength means that Aramid packing will handle all sorts of abrasive particles suspended in the pumping fluid
This is a tough, high performance packing, cross-plaited from texturised aramid yarns impregnated with PTFE dispersion and a silicone based lubricant that resists chemical attack at high temperatures
Aramid packing can also be spun over a hollow or solid central elastomeric core
- Excellent abrasion resistance
- Tough aramid yarn provides dimensional stability and resistance to deformation
- Available lubrication ensures low friction to minimise shaft and sleeve wear
We have a family of products specifically designed to seal applications with extremely high temperatures. One variant, an extremely soft stable fibre, is manufactured from heat resistant fibres spun into a flexible yarn together with a low percentage of glass fibre and Inconel® wire reinforcement. This yarn contains no organic agents or processing additives and is capable of retaining its physical and chemical properties at very high temperatures.
Alternatively, we have packings manufactured from fibrous form, inorganic refractory oxides – silica fibre with no metallic or ceramic content. This group of packings can be impregnated with high-temperature resistant additives incorporating proprietary, high temperature, graphite-based dispersion.
In all, from this family group of packings we are able to offer;
- Suitable for many high temperature duties up to 1000⁰C
- Good chemical compatibility
- Cost effective against normal ceramic packings
- Resistant to wear and abrasion
- Corrosion inhibitor safeguards metallic interfaces from galvanic corrosion
- Thermally stable at high temperatures
- Tough yet flexible for arduous duties
For applications including;
Autoclaves, Converters, Furnace, kilns and boiler doors
- BOS plant
- Vessel lid seals in steelmaking plant
- Knife edge gate valves for valve bonnet sealing
- Ash slurries, chemical slurries, hot air, dry gases, superheated and saturated steam
- Valves and centrifugal pumps
- Exhaust systems
- Valve stem sealing systems
Specialist Hybrid Packings
These are available using many different material structures and manufacturing methods also combining the addition of selected lubricants. One variant may have a central core of temperature resistant elastomer with tough aramid fibres at the corners to resist abrasion and PTFE/Graphite yarn at the centre of each side to dissipate heat and present low friction.
Another variant may have aramid yarn again at the corners, PTFE yarn at the faces and a strong core of extruded and expanded PTFE cord.
These specialist combination packings are designed to cope with specialised duties and in difficult applications, maybe where high stresses are involved.
- Excellent abrasion resistance
- Excellent extrusion resistance
- Low shaft wear
- Superior compression and recovery characteristics with out of true shafts and spindles
- Dense construction offering excellent sealing properties
- PTFE faces providing low friction
PTFE core provides resistance to high working pressure